Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The answer to my previous question is YES according to dictionary.com:


teach P Pronunciation Key (tch)
v. taught, (tôt) teach·ing, teach·es
v. tr.
To impart knowledge or skill to: teaches children.
To provide knowledge of; instruct in: teaches French.
To condition to a certain action or frame of mind: teaching youngsters to be self-reliant.
To cause to learn by example or experience: an accident that taught me a valuable lesson.
To advocate or preach: teaches racial and religious tolerance.
To carry on instruction on a regular basis in: taught high school for many years.


Fascinating and eye opening for me.
I carried a pre-conceived *idea* about what teaching was.
It was like a little red *warning* flag was raised in my mind whenever I came accross it.
There is also a pre-conceived *idea/belief* that teaching is something that can only happen by a TEACHER in a SCHOOL.
I did not carry that notion, but I have come across others who do.
The conversation is always interesting.

"To impart knowledge or skill to...To provide knowledge of; instruct in..."
hhhmmmm...instruct...
According to dictionary.com instruct is defined as:

v. tr.
To provide with knowledge, especially in a methodical way. See Synonyms at teach.
To give orders to; direct.

v. intr.
To serve as an instructor.

Wow.
"To provide with knowledge"
I LOVE this!
Think of this in regards to TELEVISION, VIDEO GAMES, and COMIC BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes!!!!
For me t.v., video games, and comic books are all *ways* to LEARN and are all FABULOUS ways of learning.
T.V. in and of itself is not a bad thing!
It's some of the CONTENT that's maybe not so *good*.
That's where another unschooling line gets fuzzy for some people,
what is *good* what is *bad* and WHOSE determination of what defines *good* and *bad* is adhered to???
And that is where remembering that you are in a partnership WITH your kids, not OVER your kids is helpful.

Once again, I head to dictionary.com to see what it says about partnership:

part·ner·ship P Pronunciation Key (pärtnr-shp)
n.
The state of being a partner.
A legal contract entered into by two or more persons in which each agrees to furnish a part of the capital and labor for a business enterprise, and by which each shares a fixed proportion of profits and losses.
The persons bound by such a contract.
A relationship between individuals or groups that is characterized by mutual cooperation and responsibility, as for the achievement of a specified goal: Neighborhood groups formed a partnership to fight crime.


and this about partner:

part·ner P Pronunciation Key (pärtnr)
n.
One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
A member of a business partnership.
A spouse.
A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.
Either of two persons dancing together.
One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.
Nautical. A wooden framework used to strengthen a ship's deck at the point where a mast or other structure passes through it. Often used in the plural.

v. part·nered, part·ner·ing, part·ners
v. tr.
To make a partner of.
To bring together as partners.
To be the partner of.

v. intr.
To work or perform as a partner or partners.


For us the *specified goal* is harmony, happiness, trust.
HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am realizing that
we have
never
actually VERBALIZED or AGREED
on what our *specified goal* is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The above that i mentioned are what MINE for the family are!!!!!!

Well duh on me.

*off to ask for a family meeting*

:)

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Mammal_Mama said...

I think of myself as a facilitator and mentor to my children. They have their own goals; because of my greater experience of the world, I can guide them to many resources that are useful to them in the pursuit of their unique dreams.

I try to only directly answer questions when a quick answer is in their best interests. Usually, I think it's better to get them brainstorming about possible answers, and thinking about where they'd like to go (internet, encyclopedia, outdoors?) if they want to learn more about the subject. I'm saying "they," but my fourteen-month-old is not extremely verbal yet, so I've really only practiced this with my six-year-old.

I do feel a need to limit passive entertainment such as TV and computer games, and although my husband used to think I was going overboard, he now appreciates our six-year-old's imagination and creativity. She loves listening to longer books (for a couple of years now, for example, she's loved Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books, and C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia), and doesn't need pictures to mentally follow a story line. I can't help thinking that if I'd allowed T.V. and computer games on a daily basis, this might have interfered with her amazing attention span and her ability to create her own pictures in her head.

I know some unschoolers believe that limiting T.V. is limiting our kids, but I think passive entertainment is kind of like junk food (no, not all shows are "junk," but even "high-quality programming" is still eating up kids' time and creative energy). I want to free up my kids' appetites for acting on their own initiatives and making their own personal splashes on the world's big canvas.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Ren Allen said...

"I want to free up my kids' appetites for acting on their own initiatives and making their own personal splashes on the world's big canvas."

What if their appetite is for television at that moment? What if their "initiative" is to do something different than what YOU think is important?

I love what you wrote de..many things I've pondered myself too about "teaching" and other questions.

Part of the whole "partnership" thing for me, was to realize that I had a different agreement on my end of the partnership than they did! They didn't willingly enter into the partnership, I bestowed it upon them by choosing to give birth.:)
So the partnership is not an equal thing, but it IS about equal respect.:) I owe them...they don't owe me....but as that has developed over the years, it's translated into some really nice human beings.

Our partnership gets renegotiated (nonverbally) as they get older. My agreement with Trevor at 16.5 is very different than the one I have with Jalen at 5.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home